maanantaina, maaliskuuta 06, 2006

Willie Garvinin Sibelius-kritiikki

Theodor W. Adornokin jää toiseksi Willie Garvinin osuvasti postuloidulle Sibelius-kritiikille:

‘I don’t get Sibelius meself,’ Willie Garvin said quietly. ‘All noise and no tune. Now you take Mozart. There was a kiddy who really knew how to write music with a bit of melody.’

‘I’m not saying he didn’t,’ Modesty answered, keeping her voice low.’ If I had to do without one or other, I’d keep Mozart. I’m just saying that if you really try with Sibelius it’s well worth the effort.’
…
‘All right,’ Willie said reluctantly. ‘I’ll give Sibelius another try. But I don’t think he’ll get through, Princess. So it’s not likely he’ll be able to go around bragging that I’m one of ‘is fans. I get browned off with a bloke who makes me listen too ‘ard.’

‘Courage, Willie love. I know what you mean, but you can always go back to Mozart and the more tuneful kiddies.’ (O'Donnell, Peter 1966. Modesty Blaise , 112-113.)

Ei kommentteja:

Bachia pääsiäisenä V

  "Schafe können sicher weiden" kantaatista "Was mir behagt ist nur die muntre Jagd", BWV 208